Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 hrs
Louisianians will add seafood to almost anything. This is a wonderful breakfast and brunch dish. This dish must sit 8-10 hours before baking, so adjust your menu accordingly.
- 1 lb crawfish tail, peeled
- 8 slices bread, cubed and buttered
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 2⁄3 cup green onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 lb cheddar cheese, grated
- 7 eggs, well beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- Saute vegetables in butter until just soft.
- Add the crawfish tails and simmer for 7 minutes.
- Drain this mixture, reserving the liquid.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a 9X13 inch baking dish which has been lightly greased, place 1/2 of the cubed bread.
- Cover the bread cubes with the crawfish mixture and sprinkle 1/2 of the cheese on top.
- Cover this with the remaining bread cubes.
- In a one quart measuring cup, place the liquid drained from the crawfish-veggie mixture and the beaten eggs. Add milk until it reaches the 4 cup mark.
- Mix in the dry mustard and whisk well.
- Pour this liquid mixture over the bread mixture and sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Cover and REFRIGERATE OVERNIGHT or at least 8 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake, uncovered, for 45-50 minutes.
- You can tell this is done when a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- If the top begins to brown too quickly, place a sheet of foil over the top for the last 15 minutes of cooking.
- Let sit for 15 minutes before serving.