Recipe by Chef RHT IV
A very rich hearty meal, I cook it occasionally for our supper club. Everyone really likes it. A lot of ingredients but really pretty easy to make. The roux either makes or breaks it.
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup flour
- 4 cups diced yellow onions
- 2 cups diced celery
- 2 cups diced bell peppers (assorted colors)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon creole seasoning
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes (drained)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped parsley
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 lbs shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 1 lb crawfish tail
- 8 cups steamed cooked white rice (I prefer long grain)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot or dutch oven with the butter & flour over medium heat make a medium brown roux.
- Add the onions, celery, bell pepper, bay leaves, salt, and cayenne & white peppers. Cook, stirring over medium high heat until onions, bell peppers & celery are soft, about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic & thyme and stir well for about a minute or so.
- Add about 3/4 of the water and sherry & stir well.
- When the mixture comes to a boil add the rest of the water if needed. You want mixture to nearly coat a spoon.
- Add rotel, parsley, green onions & creole seasoning, simmer about 6 minutes until mixture thickens. Add shrimp & crawfish and simmer until seafood is done, until Shrimp curl & turn pink.
- Discard bay leaves & serve over steamed rice, garnish with parsley and green onions.