Recipe by Iowahorse
Well, it's a Cajun style crawdad pie. Not fancy I guess, but good and filling. And dat's da trooth. ;p Support our American crawfish farmers! Buy American!
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup parsley (minced)
- 1⁄2 cup green onion
- 3⁄4 bell pepper (chopped small)
- 1 onion (large, chopped)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper
- 2 celery ribs (chopped)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs crawfish tails (You could of course use shrimp if you can't get crawdads, or even if you just prefer)
- 6 tablespoons crawfish fat (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- cornstarch (to thicken)
- 10 inches double crust pie crusts (ready-made)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium-sized pot, sauté onion, celery and bell pepper, with butter.
- Once it becomes tender, add crawfish fat and cook for 10 minutes.
- Now, add crawfish tails, parsley, green onion, and seasoning.
- You could add cornstarch to get thick gravy.
- Cook until the gravy thickens to required consistency.
- Place half of the pie-crust dough onto a 9-inch pan and fill it with filling.
- Place the other crust on top, moisten and seal edges of the crusts.
- Make sure to cut slits on the top crust, to let out steam.
- Bake in the oven at 450 deg F for 10 minutes, then reduce to 375 deg F and cook for 35 minutes.
- Once the crust is golden-brown, the pie is ready.