Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
I recently ordered Crawfish Cakes (like crab cakes) at a restaurant and just loved them. I looked here but couldn't find anything similar to them, so I modified a crab cake recipe of mine and it turned out fabulous. Use frozen crawfish chopped up, or substitute crab for the original recipe. I haven't tried it, but I also think this would work with chopped cooked shrimp. UPDATE: Following a review suggestion, I next time I tried this I added some green onion and chopped cilantro and it definitely was an improvement.
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons pesto sauce (I use store-bought)
- 1 lb frozen crawfish, thawed and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons pesto sauce
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (or your favorite herb)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a small bowl, combine sauce ingredients. Cover and refrigerate until serving time.
- In a large bowl, combine all patty ingredients except oil.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add spoon 1/3 cup mixture into skillet for each patty, cooking 4-5 minutes on each side or until golden brown. The patties will be very loose when you first flip them over. Use a spatula to flatten them after they are flipped, and flip again if needed until they firm up.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve patties topped with sauce or cocktail sauce.
I had a 12 oz package of crawfish, and adjusted the recipe accordingly. I found that the patties didn't want to stay together, so I think they need more binding ingredient, or just dust them with flour before starting the cooking process. Crawfish is very rich tasting, and I think you could add some other ingredients to the patties. I'd add some finely diced green onions and red bell peppers, maybe sauteed a bit beforehand to get them soft. My patties turned out a bit greasy, so I'd reduce the amount of oil that I cooked them in. The pesto/mayo sauce is excellent, and I'll use this for other things....it will be great on sandwiches. Ten stars for the sauce!!!