Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
My favorite crustacean: CRAWFISH!
- 1 cup minced onion
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 lb crawfish tail, peeled (2-1/2 cups peeled tails)
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄4 cups raw long grain rice
- 3 tablespoons minced parsley
- 2 tablespoons green onion tops
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper (cayenne)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Kitchen Bouquet
- 1⁄4 cup crawfish fat
- Heat oil, add flour and cook to deep brown, stirring constantly. Add onions and cook slowly about 3 or 4 minutes. Slowly add the 1-1/2 cups water. Allow this to simmer, uncovered, until reduced to 1/2 cup (about 30 or more minutes).
- Add crawfish tails and cook until they turn pink. Add the 2 cups water and bring to boil. Stir in the rice and all other ingredients. Cover, reduce heat and cook until rice is dry, about 30 minutes.