1/2 Photos of Crawfish Etouffee
Serves 4 people or double the recipe for a crowd.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (remove about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups water (or more)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- white pepper
- black pepper
- cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning or 1 teaspoon creole seasoning
- 1/2 cup green onion, finely sliced
- 2 lbs crawfish tails, peeled cleaned with fat and juices (about 4 cups)
- hot cooked white rice, for serving
- chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- 1Have all ingredients ready before you start cooking.
- 2Make the roux. In a heavy pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and stir to combine. Lower the heat and continue to stir constantly until roux becomes a brown color. This should take about 20 minutes. Do not walk away while cooking at any time. Should the roux burn, start over for it is unusable.
- 3Once the roux is finished, add to the pot the chopped onion and bell pepper. Stirring continuously, cook about 5 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and the 1 tablespoon tomato paste. Stir to combine.
- 4Add the basil, thyme, ground peppers and Creole seasoning. To the mixture add 3 cups water and stir. Simmer on low for about 10 minutes, stirring (from the bottom of the pot) frequently. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, if necessary.
- 5Stir in the green onions and crawfish tails; heat through on low heat, about 10 minutes. Add additional water, if necessary.
- 6Serve with hot cooked rice and garnish with chopped parsley.
Browse Our Top Crawfish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crawfish Etouffee
Serving Size: 1 (548 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 450.2
- Calories from Fat 229
- Total Fat 25.5 g
- Saturated Fat 15.0 g
- Cholesterol 303.5 mg
- Sodium 389.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 36.5 g