Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a recipe I got from my mom, who got it from her parents, etc. Authentic cajun recipe, my family only moved to texas with my grandparents generation
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 20 ounces water
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- 3 lbs crawfish tails
- Saute onions and bell pepper in butter.
- Add soup and water after the vegetables have become translucent.
- Cook for about 30 minutes on low fire.
- Add crawfish and cook another 30 minutes.
- Season (personally I use Tony's or Slap Ya Mama, garlic powder, salt, pepper, celery salt, and onion powder).
- Add green onions about 15 minutes before completely cooked.
- Serve over rice and enjoy!
Very good, you can't tell the creme of Mushroom soup is in there, just "streches" it without compromising flavor and I might add, from a born and bread Louisianian, roux does not belong in Etoufee, good recipe!
This etouffe has almost no flavor. Because roux adds a rich flavor I can't understand why it is not in this recipe. Where is the celery? Why in heck mushrooms? Add garlic, black pepper, white pepper, onion pdr., garlic pdr. thyme, paprika, etc. This has little resemblance to the great etouffes of Louisianna.
Very good, very easy recipe. I made this for my son's birthday dinner and it was a hit with everyone. Made a few changes by adding some Tony's and I also added some thickener at the end of cooking but only because of personal preference.