This recipe was in our local paper during the holidays. I haven't tried it yet but plan to soon. I have had a commercially made version of this and it was fairly good but I think homemade anything is much better! Hope you'll give it a try and let me know how you like it. Edited: I finally made this and it is a wonderful recipe. Many people don't have crawfish, so I think lightly boiled shrimp could easily be substituted for the crawfish. Also, 1/2 tsp cajun seasoning could be added for an extra kick.
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 (14 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped fine
- 1⁄2 cup bell pepper, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 cup cooking oil
- 3⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- 1 cup milk
- 1 lb cleaned crawfish tail
- Saute onions and bell pepper in a little butter, cooking until onions are transparent.
- Add jalapeno pepper and set aside.
- Mix all other ingredients, except for crawfish.
- Add onions and peppers, then crawfish.
- Pour into greased 9x13 pan and bake at 400 degrees for 35-45 minutes.
This is a great recipe. It's quite sound and leaves no room for error. My brother-in-law told me that he saw someone making crawfish cornbread on TV and asked me if I would make him a version of it. My sister does not do seafood at all. So, I researched several recipes and came across this one. I liked the distribution of ingredients as opposed to some recipes that only called for one cup of cornmeal. The only thing I did differently was season the crawfish tails with Old Bay before adding them to the batter. It made the cornbread more savory and flavorful. This is definitely my go to recipe for crawfish cornbread.
This is OUT OF THIS WORLD GOOD!!! I only used one small jalapeno, as I'm not much of a pepper fan. My brother came over for leftovers and I caught him in the kitchen scraping the pan and licking the spoon. The recipe is easy and is as good, or better than any other recipe I've used for crawfish cornbread. THANKS FOR SHARING!!!