Recipe by JeriBinNC
This is from Low-Calorie Cajun Cooking by Enola Prudhomme. You can substitute shrimp or strips of chicken breast for the crawfish if, like me, you live where crawfish is not available.
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 tablespoon reduced-calorie margarine
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup celery, finely chopped
- 2 cups evaporated skim milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 lb crawfish tail, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄3 cup green onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the corn in a food processor or blender and process until the kernels are chopped and resemble cream-style corn. Set aside.
- In a large Dutch oven over high heat, melt the margarine.
- Add the onions, bell pepper, and celery and saute for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Reduce the heat to medium and stir in the corn, milk, and stock.
- Cook, stirring frequently, for 15 minutes.
- Spray the inside of a large skillet with nonstick spray and place over high heat.
- Add the crawfish, green onions, salt and pepper.
- Saute for 5 minutes, then add the corn mixture.
- Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes, stirring often to prevent burning.