Recipe by Just Cher
This is posted as a request. I found this in one of my many cookbooks. This one comes from the roping the flavors of Texas cookbook.
- 1 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup canned chopped green chili (drained)
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons white pepper, divided
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cayenne pepper, divided
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 3 lbs peeled crayfish tails
- 2⁄3 cup very finely chopped green onion
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt 1/2 cup butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion, green chilies, bell pepper, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp white pepper 1/2 tsp cayenne, 1/4 tsp oregano and garlic.
- Saute 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in cream.
- Bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat& simmer for 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add sour cream, whisking until well blended.
- Add cheese, stirring until well blended.
- Set aside.
- Melt remaining 1/2 cup butter in a 4 quart saucepan over medium heat.
- Add crawfish, green onion, remaining salt, pepper, cayenne and oregano.
- Saute for 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cheese sauce stirring until well blended.
- Simmer for 6 to 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Serve with tortilla chips or your favorite cracker.