Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
In 'A Southerly Course' by Martha Hall Foose; more like turnovers
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 lb peeled crawfish tail, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup diced onion
- 1⁄4 lb smoked gouda cheese, shredded (1 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup grated carrot
- 1⁄2 cup chili sauce (Heinz)
- 1⁄4 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large egg, beaten
- The dough-in a small bowl, mix the ricotta, eggs, milk, and garlic salt together.
- In another bowl, combine the flour and baking powder.
- Using a fork, stir the ricotta mixture into the flour mixture to form a shaggy dough.
- Gather the dough together with your hands and press it into a flat disk about 8 inches in diameter.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate while making the filling.
- The filling-in a big bowl, combine the crawfish, onion, cheese, carrot, chili sauce, bell pepper, and Worcestershire.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the dough disk into 8 wedges.
- Gather each wedge and shape it into a ball.
- Roll each ball into a 7- to 8-inch round.
- Place 1/2 cup of the filling in the center of each round.
- Fold the dough over the filling forming half-moon shapes.
- Using the tines of a fork, press the edges to seal.
- Place turnovers on the baking sheets.
- Brush the tops of each turnover with beaten egg.
- With a sharp knife, cut a small slit in the top of each turnover to let the steam escape while baking.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, rotating the baking sheets from upper to lower halfway through baking to ensure even cooking.
- Remove the baking sheets from the oven and transfer the turnovers to a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes before serving.