Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Popcorn rice is big industry in Louisiana. Popcorn Rice, which when cooked, has the aroma of freshly popped popcorn. You can sub jasmine rice, which has a fragrant corn or nut-like aroma when cooked or plain white rice. Fine Cooking featured this recipe with the popcorn rice. Treat yourself!
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 celery ribs, chopped fine
- 1 green pepper, chopped fine
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 1 cup raw rice, popcorn, jasmine or 1 cup white rice
- 1 2⁄3 cups fish stock or 1 cup chicken stock and 2/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄2 lb cooked shelled crawfish tail
- In a saucepan, melt the butter. Add the celery, green pepper and onion and saute 2 minutes. Stir in the rice. Add the fish stock (or chicken stock and water) and salt. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer until the rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Chop the crawfish and stir inches Taste for seasoning and add salt if needed. Let the rice cool slightly. Whir in a food processor just long enough to chop the mixture, but not so long that it becomes a puree.
- Form the mixture into eight cakes by hand and put them on a buttered baking sheet or pack the rice lightly into small ramekins and unmold onto the sheet. When ready to serve, heat in a 350°F oven for 15 to 20 minutes and then transfer to plates with a wide metal spatula.