Recipe by Montana Heart Song
Original recipe using a crock and raisins. I have updated. Original recipe at least 100 years old. A whole chicken was boiled. Now I use chicken breasts. Serve a large number.
- 1 cup craisins
- 4 boneless cooked chicken breasts, in chunks
- 1 large cabbage, chopped
- 1 large turnip, peeled and chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt or 1 teaspoon salt substitute
- 1 cup carrot, shredded
- 1 cup green onion, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar or 5 (1 g) packets Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 tablespoon dried cilantro
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 dash ground cloves
- 1 dash ground allspice
Directions See How It's Made
- Place craisins in a small bowl with hot water. Set aside.
- In large non-metal serving bowl, add chopped.
- cabbage, turnip and carrots. Add onions if desired. Add salt and stir.
- Drain craisins.
- In medium saucepan heat vinegar, sugar, margarine, cilantro, mustard, cloves, and allspice and craisins.
- Note: you may use brown sugar or Splenda brown sugar blend if desired.
- Add chopped chicken and stir into cabbage mixture.
- Pour hot vinegar mixture over salad and toss to mix well.
- Cover and chill at least 4 hours.
- Before serving, toss and drain.
- The turnip is sweet and crunchy in this salad.
- Chill time is include in prep time.