This is from the blog http://dlynz.com/?p=2353 Donalyn Ketchum.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 sweet potatoes (medium to large)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/4-1/2 tablespoon kosher salt or 1/4-1/2 tablespoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Mexican chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried chipotle powder or 1/4 teaspoon dried ancho chile powder
- 1/8 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1Peel the sweet potatoes and slice about 1 1/4 inches thick. To a pot filled with just enough water to cover the potatoes, add 1/2 teaspoon salt to the water; bring to a boil. Add potato slices and simmer for about 12 minutes or until slightly softened. Remove the slices carefully to a wire rack and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
- 2In the meantime mix together the olive oil and butter; set aside.
- 3Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- 4In a small bowl, blend the topping ingredients together, making sure the sugar is completely distributed.
- 5Using a flat-bottomed bowl or glass, slightly mash each potato slice, taking care that they stay intact. (Note: If the bowl/glass sticks, rub a little olive oil on the bottom.) Using only half of the oil/butter mixture, drizzle each slice with a mixture of the butter and oil.
- 6Sprinkle the slices evenly with half the topping mixture, avoid getting the topping on the sheet between the slices, if possible, for it will burn and smoke before the potatoes are done. Note: if the patties are firm enough, simply dip them into the mixture, patting to stick.
- 7Gently turn over each slice, drizzle with the remaining butter/oil mixture and sprinkle with the remaining seasonings. Place slices on prepared baking sheet.
- 8Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, carefully flipping each slice and return to oven for about 10 minutes more. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crash Hot Sweet Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (748 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 380.7
- Calories from Fat 228
- Total Fat 25.4 g
- Saturated Fat 9.2 g
- Cholesterol 30.5 mg
- Sodium 1530.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 15.6 g
- Protein 2.5 g