Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Taken from Chef Jill Dupleix's recipe online.
Make and share this Crash Hot Potatoes recipe from Food.com.
- 16 baby potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon thyme (or crushed rosemary sprigs)
- Heat oven to 230degC (459degF).
- Don't peel the potatoes, boil or cook in microwave until they are cooked, without being too soft.
- Drain, and arrange on a paper lined baking tray, use a potato masher to squash each potato flat, until it is twice its original diameter.
- Brush the tops with olive oil and scatter with sea salt, pepper and herbs.
- Bake on the top shelf of the oven for 20 to 25 minutes until crisp and golden.
These are very good potatoes, and easy to make. After boiling, I tossed them in a bowl with the olive oil and the seasonings. Then I put them on the cookie sheet and smashed them with a glass. I drizzled the potatoes with any remaining oil and seasonings from the bowl. Very tasty! I look forward to making these again and again!
Really, really good. I boiled my baby reds in chicken stock, saving the stock for part 3. Part 2 I used a glass to mash, brushed with olive oil & sprinkled on sea salt, pepper and smoked paprika. I finished them off in a hot cast iron skillet with olive oil and a pat of butter. I removed the crispy potatoes, added some of the leftover stock and reduced a bit-that I drizzled over the potatoes.
I won't worry about working this into my dinner rotation as my DH is doing that for me-LOL! Thanks for posting! Di ;-)
What a gem of a recipe!!! WOW! I used the baby reds and appreciated the hint from Chicagoland Chef to boil them ahead of time. I forgot to brush the olive oil on them BEFORE I smashed them -- a step I will definitely do next time. I found the smooth bottom of a glass worked much better than the potato masher. I lined my pan with the non-stick foil, brushed with the olive oil, sprinkled with the sea salt and pepper -- and some fresh thyme. I used 440 as my oven temp, placed the baking sheet on the highest rack in the oven and baked for 25-30 minutes. They were heaven! We did 16 potatoes and between the two of us ate 12 of them (I could finished them off in a heartbeat -- but decided to save them for MY breakfast this morning! This is a blue ribbon recipe!!!