Recipe by Cranky Ex-Chef
This recipe will be one of my week 4, 2012 new menu item. The sauce is based on a Cooks Illustrated marinara, and the chicken is a re-tooling of an Everyday Light Meals (2006) recipe, "Tasty Italian Chicken"
Top Review by Sydney Mike
I did cut this recipe back by 1/3 since there were just the 2 of us, & another time I might just do it all & have a little bit for left overs! Followed the ingredient list right on down & was deliciously pleased with the results! Thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this Spring's round of Pick A Chef]
- 28 ounces tomatoes, stewed crushed (one large can)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil, dried
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup dried breadcrumbs, unseasoned
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken tenderloins
- In a small saucepan, add the tomatoes, bay leaf, and garlic. Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Stir in dried basil and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, in a large resealable plastic bag, combine the bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, salt, garlic powder, and oregano. Add chicken; seal bag and shake to coat. Refrigerate if making for a future cooking day.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with non-stick cooking spray, cook half of the chicken in 1 tsp oil for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until the is breading is browned and no longer adheres to the pan when lifted gently with a spatula. Remove to an oven-safe dish and place in the oven to cook thruough. Repeat with remaining chicken and oil. Chicken is cooked through when it is no longer pink in the middle when sliced through.