Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This came from a holiday recipe collecton from Jell-o many years ago. It requires a little effort (grinding the cranberries), but it's well worth it. Cooking time is time in fridge for mold to set.
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh cranberries, ground
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 (3 ounce) packages orange gelatin or 2 (3 ounce) packages lemon gelatin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 1⁄2 cups cold water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove
- 1 orange, sectioned and diced
- 1⁄2 cup almonds or 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Combine cranberries and sugar and set aside.
- Dissolve gelatin and salt in boiling water. Add cold water, lemon juice, cinnamon and cloves.
- Chill until thickened.
- Fold in cranberries, orange and nuts.
- Spoon into 6-cup mold. Chill until firm.
- Unmold. Garnish with crisp salad greens, if desired.
I used to grind the cranberries in the old food grinder that clamps to the counter, then moved to the Cuisinart, but now I put them in a pan and heat them on a low heat until they start to pop and get mushy, brings out the juices too, I then just add them to the jello when its time and people really like it, one more pan to clean but they turn out so good.
This is the best Cranberry Salad I have ever made! Definitely a keeper!
Amazing. I used sugar free jello, and it turned out great. I used a bowl instead of mold, and it was still great. Great, healtheir cranberry option for thanksgiving.