Recipe by Mary K. W.
This came from a holiday recipe collecton from Jell-o many years ago. It requires a little effort (grinding the cranberries), but it's well worth it. Cooking time is time in fridge for mold to set.
Top Review by cglitz
I used to grind the cranberries in the old food grinder that clamps to the counter, then moved to the Cuisinart, but now I put them in a pan and heat them on a low heat until they start to pop and get mushy, brings out the juices too, I then just add them to the jello when its time and people really like it, one more pan to clean but they turn out so good.
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh cranberries, ground
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 (3 ounce) packages orange gelatin or 2 (3 ounce) packages lemon gelatin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 1⁄2 cups cold water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove
- 1 orange, sectioned and diced
- 1⁄2 cup almonds or 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine cranberries and sugar and set aside.
- Dissolve gelatin and salt in boiling water. Add cold water, lemon juice, cinnamon and cloves.
- Chill until thickened.
- Fold in cranberries, orange and nuts.
- Spoon into 6-cup mold. Chill until firm.
- Unmold. Garnish with crisp salad greens, if desired.