1/6 Photos of Cranberry Whole Wheat Scones, Diabetic Friendly
Take your choice of ginger or cinnamon to flavor these tender, fruity wedges. A sprinkle of rolled oats decorates the tops and adds a little fiber.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger or 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 cup Egg Beaters egg substitute, thawed (or 2 eggs, slightly beaten)
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries or 3/4 cup dried currant
- 3 tablespoons rolled oats
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degree F.
- 2In a large bowl, stir together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, Splenda, baking powder, ginger, baking soda, and salt.
- 3Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- 4Make a well in the center of the flour mixture.
- 5In a small bowl, beat egg slightly; stir in the 1/3 cup buttermilk and cranberries.
- 6Add buttermilk mixture all at once to flour mixture.
- 7Stir just until moistened (some of the dough may look dry).
- 8Turn out onto a floured surface.
- 9Knead dough for 10 to 12 strokes or until nearly smooth.
- 10Pat or lightly roll dough to an 8-inch circle about 3/4 inch thick.
- 11Brush top with additional buttermilk; sprinkle with oats, pressing gently into dough.
- 12Cut into 8 wedges.
- 13Place dough wedges 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
- 14Bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until edges are light browned.
- 15Serve warm.
Browse Our Top Scones Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cranberry Whole Wheat Scones, Diabetic Friendly
Serving Size: 1 (64 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 199.8
- Calories from Fat 74
- Total Fat 8.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 20.7 mg
- Sodium 259.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 4.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Egg Beaters egg substitute