Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe is great any time but is adapted from Everyday Food, Thanksgiving With All The Trimmings, November 2005: "These tender muffins, studded with cranberries and nuts and scented with orange, are 100% whole-grain; and they taste great! This traditional Thanksgiving flavor combination in muffin form makes a delicious, healthy start to your day of feasting."
- 354.88 ml whole wheat flour (King Arthur Traditional or King Arthur 100% White Whole Wheat flour)
- 177.44 ml quick-cooking rolled oats
- 59.14 ml dry buttermilk or 59.14 ml nonfat dry milk powder
- 158.51 ml sugar
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml salt
- 236.59 ml cranberries, chopped (fresh or frozen)
- 118.29 ml pecans (optional) or 118.29 ml walnuts, chopped (optional)
- 14.79 ml orange zest (finely grated orange peel)
- 2 large eggs (or 4 egg whites)
- 177.44 ml milk
- 78.07 ml vegetable oil or 78.07 ml melted butter
- 29.58 ml orange juice
- 44.37 ml sugar
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients, then stir in the cranberries and nuts.
- Whisk together the orange zest, eggs, milk, and oil or melted butter.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring until blended; don't beat or your muffins will be tough!
- Fill 12 greased muffin cups or paper liners about 3/4 full.
- Bake the muffins for 18-20 minutes, until they're golden brown.
- Remove them from the oven, leave them in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer them to a rack.
- In a small saucepan or the microwave, stir together the glaze ingredients. Bring just to a boil to dissolve the sugar.
- Dip the tops of the warm muffins into the glaze.
- NOTES: For a sweeter muffin, substitute 1 cup sweetened dried cranberries.