Recipe by Heather3271
This recipe is great any time but is adapted from Everyday Food, Thanksgiving With All The Trimmings, November 2005: "These tender muffins, studded with cranberries and nuts and scented with orange, are 100% whole-grain; and they taste great! This traditional Thanksgiving flavor combination in muffin form makes a delicious, healthy start to your day of feasting."
- 354.88 ml whole wheat flour (King Arthur Traditional or King Arthur 100% White Whole Wheat flour)
- 177.44 ml quick-cooking rolled oats
- 59.14 ml dry buttermilk or 59.14 ml nonfat dry milk powder
- 158.51 ml sugar
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml salt
- 236.59 ml cranberries, chopped (fresh or frozen)
- 118.29 ml pecans (optional) or 118.29 ml walnuts, chopped (optional)
- 14.79 ml orange zest (finely grated orange peel)
- 2 large eggs (or 4 egg whites)
- 177.44 ml milk
- 78.07 ml vegetable oil or 78.07 ml melted butter
- 29.58 ml orange juice
- 44.37 ml sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients, then stir in the cranberries and nuts.
- Whisk together the orange zest, eggs, milk, and oil or melted butter.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring until blended; don't beat or your muffins will be tough!
- Fill 12 greased muffin cups or paper liners about 3/4 full.
- Bake the muffins for 18-20 minutes, until they're golden brown.
- Remove them from the oven, leave them in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer them to a rack.
- In a small saucepan or the microwave, stir together the glaze ingredients. Bring just to a boil to dissolve the sugar.
- Dip the tops of the warm muffins into the glaze.
- NOTES: For a sweeter muffin, substitute 1 cup sweetened dried cranberries.