Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is great any time but is adapted from Everyday Food, Thanksgiving With All The Trimmings, November 2005: "These tender muffins, studded with cranberries and nuts and scented with orange, are 100% whole-grain; and they taste great! This traditional Thanksgiving flavor combination in muffin form makes a delicious, healthy start to your day of feasting."
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour (King Arthur Traditional or King Arthur 100% White Whole Wheat flour)
- 3⁄4 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1⁄4 cup dry buttermilk or 1⁄4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cranberries, chopped (fresh or frozen)
- 1⁄2 cup pecans (optional) or 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon orange zest (finely grated orange peel)
- 2 large eggs (or 4 egg whites)
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil or 1⁄3 cup melted butter
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients, then stir in the cranberries and nuts.
- Whisk together the orange zest, eggs, milk, and oil or melted butter.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring until blended; don't beat or your muffins will be tough!
- Fill 12 greased muffin cups or paper liners about 3/4 full.
- Bake the muffins for 18-20 minutes, until they're golden brown.
- Remove them from the oven, leave them in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer them to a rack.
- In a small saucepan or the microwave, stir together the glaze ingredients. Bring just to a boil to dissolve the sugar.
- Dip the tops of the warm muffins into the glaze.
- NOTES: For a sweeter muffin, substitute 1 cup sweetened dried cranberries.