Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
A moist and delicious quick bread mix for gift giving! Nothing says "I love you!" better than a gift from the kitchen. And especially one that fills the house of your recipient with the aroma of sweet, fresh baked bread. The dry ingredients are layered in a quart-sized jar and the jar can be decorated in any number of ways to reflect the occasion. Be sure to attach a recipe card or an embellished tag, to the jar, with the recipe, additional ingredients needed and baking instructions. Prep time includes putting together the gift jar as well as combining the wet ingredients before baking.
- 354.88 ml all-purpose flour
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml salt
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 2.46 ml cinnamon
- 1.23 ml nutmeg (I use fresh grated, but ground is fine)
- 1.23 ml ground ginger
- 118.29 ml dried cranberries
- 118.29 ml white chocolate chips
- 118.29 ml pecans, chopped
For Making the bread
- 2 eggs
- 118.29 ml sour cream
- 59.14 ml butter, melted
- 59.14 ml powdered sugar
- 7.39 ml milk
- To make the gift jar: Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt and then spoon into a quart-sized jar with a tight-fitting lid. (I use a wide-mouth funnel to easily get the ingredients into the jar.) Tap the jar gently on the counter top to settle the flour.
- Combine the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger and pour over the flour in the jar.
- Continue the layers with the dried cranberries, then the white chocolate chips and finally the pecans. Put the lid on the jar and decorate as desired.
- To make bread: Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease a 9x 5 loaf pan.
- Pour all the dry ingredient from the jar into a large mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, use a fork to beat the eggs lightly and then add the sour cream. Continue mixing with the fork until the sour cream is incorporated.
- Add the melted butter to the dry ingredients and then add the egg and sour cream mixture. Stir just until combined.
- Spread into prepared loaf pan and bake in preheated oven for 50 minutes, or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes in pan and then turn out onto a cooling rack (with a layer of foil or waxed paper under the rack, to keep your counter clean.).
- Stir together powdered sugar and milk until smooth. Drizzle or spread over top of loaf. Serve immediately or cool completely before slicing, to keep the slices looking nice.
Excellent for gift giving. The dry mix is pretty in the jar and the finished project is delicious. I appreciated the generous amounts of cranberries & pecans and thought the quick bread was very good. Nice flavors & worthy of being a gift item. Good luck in the contest! =)
Perfect as a gift. I made 3 jars of the gift ingredients accompanied by the the instructions for the rest of the ingredients and how to make the bread. I did make the bread myself too so I would know what I was giving away...! The bread is moist, sweet and very easy to make, great with coffee or tea. A real treat.
Thanks for creating and posting. Made for Craze-E #4 contest December 2010.
Good to give, nice to get. Very nice and fancy presentation. Good luck in the contest.