Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I got this recipe from my mother in law. I believe she got it years ago while she and her husband were living in Germany. I think its pretty good and I'm sure you could add alcohol to your taste if you wanted.
- 1 family-size tea bags or 3 regular tea bags
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 (1 lb) can jellied cranberry sauce
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup ReaLemon juice
- 5 1⁄2 cups water
- In a paper coffee filter place the nutmeg, cinnamon and allspice. Tie top together with string from teabag.
- Steep teabag(s) and spices in 2 1/2 cups water in a sauce pan for about five minutes.
- In a large bowl combine cranberry sauce, 1 1/2 cups boiling water and 3/4 cup sugar. You can do it by hand but an electric mixer saves time and energy. Mix until there are no lumps.
- Add orange juice, realemon juice and another 1 1/2 cups boiling water.
- Remove teabag and spices from sauce pan. Add the tea and cranberry mixtures together. You can use a Dutch oven or a crock pot.
- You can add more water to dilute the mixture to taste. It will keep for about 10 days, though its never lasted that long.
I added less lemon juice and about 1/4 cup of extra sugar and it was great! It makes your house smell wonderful too!
This was good but a bit sour. I had to add sugar to it. I made it by boiling 51/2 cups water, adding the spices (in the coffee filter tied with a tea bag string...such a nifty idea!) and tea bags and then I steeped it and then added the juices and cranberry sauce and stirred it over low heat until the cranberry sauce melted. Thanks for the recipe.