Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe is from the makers of Diamond walnuts. Its incredibly rich and heavy, making it a perfect accompaniment to salad for a small lunch. The cranberries add a nice holiday touch.
For the Crust
- 236.59 ml flour
- 158.51 ml walnuts, ground
- 14.79 ml sugar
- 1.23 ml salt
- 2.46 ml dry mustard
- 0.59 ml cayenne pepper
- 85.04 g butter, chilled and cubed
- 14.79 ml milk
For the Filling
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2.46 ml salt
- 236.59 ml fresh cranberries or 236.59 ml frozen cranberries
- 14.79 ml sugar
- 314.66 ml walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 9.85 ml fresh thyme, minced fine
- 2 eggs
- 236.59 ml heavy cream
- 56.69 g blue cheese, crumbled
- For the Crust: Pulse dry ingredients and butter in a food processor until mixture resembles fine bread crumbs.
- Add milk; pulse until dough comes together.
- Press mixture into ball, and then press into a 9" tart pan.
- Prick crust with fork.
- Freeze for half an hour; bake at 375° for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden.
- For the Filling:.
- Heat oil in heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion, sprinkle with salt and saute 10 to 15 minutes, stirring frequently until onion is tender and caramelized.
- Add cranberries and sugar, cook until they pop.
- Stir in walnuts and thyme, set aside.
- In a bowl, combine eggs and cream, whisk until smooth.
- Spoon walnut-cranberry mixture into baked tart shell, crumble blue cheese over top, and pour egg and cream mixture over filling.
- Bake at 350° until golden, and custard is set, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cool 15 minutes before serving.
I WISH YOU COULD SMELL THIS TART!!! The savory tart slices easily and tastes as great as it smelled right out of the oven! NOTE: I had to add an additional tablespoon milk to get the dough to come together into a ball. Made for THYME, Herb/ Spice, December 2008 in The Gardening Forum.