Recipe by Mom2Rose
Gift jar directions at bottom of the recipe - add onto a recipe card and attach to the gift! Or skip the gift making and indulge yourself with this treat!! NOTE: This recipe is to be prepared one QUART size wide mouth canning jar and will yield 8 scones.
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup dried sweetened cranberries
ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (to be added by the recipient)
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, separated
- 2 teaspoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Creating the Gift in a Jar:
- Wash and thoroughly dry a 1-quart wide-mouth canning jar.
- Layer the ingredients in the jar as listed above starting with the flour, salt, baking soda, nutmeg, baking powder, sugar, walnuts and then cranberries - make sure to press firmly with a flat bottomed object after each addition; make the layers as level as possible.
- Secure the lid and decorate as desired; attach the instructions for making these cookies found below.
- CRANBERRY WALNUT SCONES GIFT TAG:
- Additional ingredients to be added by the recipient: 1/2 cup cold butter, 3/4 cup buttermilk, 1 egg, separated and 2 tsp sugar.
- CRANBERRY WALNUT SCONES INSTRUCTIONS:
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Place the contents of the jar in a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Using a pastry blender or fork, cut in the butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in buttermilk and egg yolk just to moisten.
- Turn the dough onto a greased cookie sheet and use the back of a wood spoon to pat into an 8-inch round.
- Score it into 8 wedges without cutting through.
- Beat the egg white slightly and brush over the dough.
- Sprinkle with the sugar and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool for 5 minutes, cut into scones and serve warm; or cool completely and store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.