Recipe by adrienneleigh
This recipe came from a free insert i picked up at Whole Foods. The credit says: "Recipe provided by James Rouse, NO, the creator of Optimum Wellness and The Fit Kitchen, seen weekly on NBC's KUSA television news."
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄3 cup natural cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped cranberries, dried or fresh
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 6 tablespoons melted ghee or 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-fat milk (2 percent) or 1⁄2 cup soymilk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, cranberries, and walnuts. Toss together lightly to mix.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together melted ghee or butter,egg, milk, and vanilla extract, then pour all at once into flour mixture.
- Mix lightly, using as few strokes as possible, until dough clings together.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. With floured hands, pat dough into an 8-inch round, about 1-1/2 inches thick.
- Cut round into eight pie-shaped wedges and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake until lightly browned around the edges, about 20 minutes.
- Cool on a baking rack.