Prep 2 hrs
Cook 40 mins
Based on a yeast bread from Yankee Magazine
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 packages dry yeast (2 scant Tbs.)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 2 cups fresh cranberries, ground
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 cups rye flour
- 4 1⁄2-5 cups white flour
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Add sour cream, salt, molasses, sugar, allspice, cloves, cranberries, walnuts and rye flour.
- Mix on low speed to blend then mix on medium speed for 5 minutes.
- Add enough white flour to make a soft dough.
- Knead for 5 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl and let rise until doubled.
- Punch down and divide in two.
- Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Grease two 9" by 5" loaf pans.
- Shape dough to fit into pans then let rise until double.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes until deep golden brown.
- Remove from pans immediately and cool on wire racks.
- Brush with butter while still warm if desired.