Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
I love pumpkin spice bread, walnuts, and cranberries, and found this fantastic recipe at epicurious.com. It was published in Gourmet magazine in October 2003.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup dried sweetened cranberries (I plan to use fresh.)
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter 9 1/4x5 1/4x3-inch loaf pan.
- Line bottom and 2 long sides with waxed paper.
- Whisk flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in medium bowl to blend.
- Using electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl until fluffy.
- Gradually add 1 cup sugar, beating until blended.
- Beat in eggs, 1 at a time.
- Beat in pumpkin, then vanilla.
- Beat in dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk in 2 additions each.
- Fold in cranberries and nuts.
- Transfer batter to pan.
- Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Bake bread until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour 10 minutes.
- Cool bread in pan on rack 15 minutes.
- Cut around bread at short ends to loosen from pan.
- Turn bread out onto rack; peel off waxed paper.
- Cool bread completely.
- (Can be made 2 days ahead. Wrap and store at room temperature.).
Very good. The crust is fabulous! I used the cranberrys from Cranberry Liqueur. I saw where this recipe says that it makes 1 loaf. As I was mixing the ingredients I realized there was much more batter than for 1 loaf. Then I looked at the size loaf pan to use. This makes a lot! Well worth it. I made 1 large loaf and 2 of the small. Watch the cooking times.
Very good -- I made 20 muffins, cooking time adjusted to 25 minutes. I didn't have any pumpkin pie spice so used 1 t cinnamon, 1/2 t nutmeg and 1/2 t allspice to make up the 2 t pumpkin pie spice and I used about 1 cup fresh cranberries. Delish! Thanks for sharing!