1/2 Photos of Cranberry-Walnut Granola
Based on a recipe from The Wholesome Junk Food Cookbook by Laura Trice. She says of this recipe, "I grew up eating homemade granola that my mom made for us and have found that having a tart fruit in the granola gives it extra pizzazz. I enjoy the cranberry-walnut combination. Walnuts have healthy oils and are so good for us. The protein and fat combination of the nut helps to make the granola more filling, providing lasting energy. Granola takes a little while to bake and makes your entire house smell good. This is a good granola for breakfast." NOTE: Add fruit to granola only after the baking is done to avoid drying out the fruit and avoid making it tough to chew and less flavorful.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- cooking spray or butter, for greasing pan
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons orange zest, finely grated
- 1/4 cup evaporated cane juice, crystals
- 2 teaspoons sea salt, unprocessed
- 2/3 cup honey or 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup oil, expeller-pressed
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup dried blueberries (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 325°F Prepare a shallow 14x11-inch pan by greasing with cooking spray or butter.
- 2In large bowl, thoroughly mix together oats, walnuts, sesame seeds, orange zest, sugar, and salt.
- 3In a separate bowl combine the honey and oil. Pour over the dry ingredients. Thoroughly mix together and spoon into the prepared pan.
- 4Bake for 30 minutes, turning the pan and stirring every 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- 5Remove from oven. Mix in the dried cranberries and blueberries, if using, and allow to cool.
Browse Our Top Fruit Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cranberry-Walnut Granola
Serving Size: 1 (76 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 340.2
- Calories from Fat 181
- Total Fat 20.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 390.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 16.1 g
- Protein 6.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
evaporated cane juice