Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I love this loaf. I adapted the OceanSpray recipe and like it much better than the one with full sugar. You may have to add a bit more orange juice depending upon your area and how your batter is. If it looks a bit too thick, just add another splash or two. Cooking time is approximate, you may need to add 5 - 10 minutes.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄4 cups no-sugar-added orange juice (or squeeze your own)
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons orange zest
- 1 well beaten egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups cranberries, chopped roughly
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- Mix your flour, splenda, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- In your mixer bowl combine your O.J., shortening, Orange Peel and egg.
- Add the dry to the wet and mix until JUST combined, do NOT overmix.
- Stir in the nuts and Cranberries by hand.
- Pour into a greased loaf pan and bake at 350 deg for approx 30 minutes
I've always loved the orange and cranberry mixtures, so I thought I would give this a try. I followed the recipe exactly except I used two smaller bread pans instead of one larger loaf pan. I thought the baking time might be shorter using two smaller tins, but the baking time was still around 30 minutes (possibly my oven). I'll be making this one again this weekend for a church get-together. Thank you for sharing your recipe!
Nice blend of flavours of cranberry and orange. Next time I will add a little more splenda (maybe 1/4 cup.) Cooking time for me was 45 minutes in centre of oven. I will definitely be making this loaf again.