Prep 20 mins
Cook 24 hrs
This is an old family recipe. I don't know where it came from originally. I am made to bring this salad every Thanksgiving, my sister says it's not really Thanksgiving without it! It does sit overnight to mellow the cranberries, but the prep is quick.
- 12 -16 ounces fresh cranberries
- 1 (10 ounce) bag mini marshmallows
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tart green apple, chopped
- 1 cup red seedless grapes, halved
- 1⁄2 cup broken walnuts or 1⁄2 cup pecans
- Rinse the cranberries and remove any stems or leaves.
- Grind the cranberries and marshmallows together using a meat grinder or chop in a food processor.
- Turn the cranberry mixture into a bowl and add the sugar.
- Stir well, then cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Next day, whip the cream to soft peaks, then gently stir into cranberry mixture.
- Add the chopped apple (do not peel it), halved grapes and nuts and just mix through.
I've been making this for Thanksgiving for over 20 years. Now everyone in the family asks for it. I do not grind the Marshmallow, but add them whole. The best part is the day after! It's the most asked for leftover!
DEFINITELY A WINNER OF A SALAD! As with many other recipes, when I can, I used toasted pecans here, though otherwise I followed the recipe & had a wonderful addition to a lunch buffet! Will be making this again especially during the winter holidays! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my partners in the Aus/NZ Recipe Swap #22]
This Waldorf fruit salad was delicious and very pretty Sheynath. I enjoyed all the flavors and textures in this dish. The salad was light and creamy, tart, sweet and tangy. Thanks so much for sharing, a dish that I will make again and again.