1/1 Photo of Cranberry Upside-Down Cake
The sugar, spices and orange zest make a wonderful syrup as the cake bakes, creating the perfect foil to the tart cranberries. This cake is lovely as the finish to dinner, or a nice mid-morning snack with coffee. Adapted from a recipe in Everyday Food.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature divided
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest (optional)
- 1 3/4 cups cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees farenheit.
- 2Rub the bottom and sides of an 8-inch round pan with 2 Tablespoons of the butter.
- 3In a small bowl, mix together 1/2 cup of the sugar, the cinnamon, allspice and orange zest.
- 4Sprinkle this mixture evenly over the bottom of the pan, then arrange cranberries in a single layer on top.
- 5Cream remaining 6 tablespoons of butter and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy.
- 6Add egg and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- 7In another bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- 8Add this to the egg and sugar mixture in several batches, alternating with with milk, until well combined.
- 9Spoon batter over cranberries, and even out the top.
- 10Bake on center rack of the oven until a toothpick inserted to the center of the batter comes out clean, 30-35 minutes.
- 11Let cool for 20 minutes, then run a kinfe around the edge of the cake.
- 12Place a platter over the top of the baking pan, and turn cake out onto platter.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cranberry Upside-Down Cake
Serving Size: 1 (104 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 300.6
- Calories from Fat 116
- Total Fat 12.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7.8 g
- Cholesterol 59.1 mg
- Sodium 159.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 26.0 g
- Protein 3.5 g