Recipe by Mooseybear
The sugar, spices and orange zest make a wonderful syrup as the cake bakes, creating the perfect foil to the tart cranberries. This cake is lovely as the finish to dinner, or a nice mid-morning snack with coffee. Adapted from a recipe in Everyday Food.
Top Review by Mysterygirl
Mox, this is excellent. I saved this one for a special occasion but I'll be making it again, just because. I did use the zest and even added a bit to the cake batter. It's a beautiful and very tasty dessert. The cranberries, spices and orange go together so well. Very easy to put together. Thanks for posting it.
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature divided
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest (optional)
- 1 3⁄4 cups cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees farenheit.
- Rub the bottom and sides of an 8-inch round pan with 2 Tablespoons of the butter.
- In a small bowl, mix together 1/2 cup of the sugar, the cinnamon, allspice and orange zest.
- Sprinkle this mixture evenly over the bottom of the pan, then arrange cranberries in a single layer on top.
- Cream remaining 6 tablespoons of butter and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- In another bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add this to the egg and sugar mixture in several batches, alternating with with milk, until well combined.
- Spoon batter over cranberries, and even out the top.
- Bake on center rack of the oven until a toothpick inserted to the center of the batter comes out clean, 30-35 minutes.
- Let cool for 20 minutes, then run a kinfe around the edge of the cake.
- Place a platter over the top of the baking pan, and turn cake out onto platter.