Recipe by rpsj2
From the book "Cranberry Valentine", by Wende & Harry Devlin, published in 1986
Top Review by Sydney Mike
This is one of those desserts I'd gladly have consumed all by myself, but fortunately for my body, I didn't! Rather, it got shared with several neighbors! That said, come the end-of-year holidays, I will definitely be making this one again ~ I absolutely love those little tart red berries & this cake is a real winner in my book! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick A Chef event]
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 4 cups cranberries
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup walnut halves
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350'.
- Slice stick of butter into thin pieces.
- Distribute evenly in bottom of 9" by 12" pan.
- Sprinkle walnuts over butter.
- Mix white & brown sugars with cranberries, then spread evenly over walnuts.
- Follow directions on cake box to prepare cake mixture, then pour mixture over cranberries.
- Bake 40-50 minutes, or when toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool 10 minutes, then loosen edges from pan with a knife, & turn over onto pie plate.
- Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.