1 hr 30 mins
A fall twist on upside-down cake. The cranberries and orange juice give it a wonderful tangy flavor. I serve it during the fall and at Thanksgiving. From Chez Panisse Fruit.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 3/4 cups fresh cranberries
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1Use a 9-inch round or 8-inch square cake pan with 3-inch sides.
- 2To make cake topping, place the butter and brown sugar in the cake pan. Place the pan on a stovetop burner over low heat and melt, stirring with a wooden spoon. When the mixture begins to caramelize, turning a slightly darker shade of brown, remove from the heat and let cool. Scatter the cranberries evenly in the bottom of the pan and drizzle in the orange juice. Set aside.
- 3Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- 4To make the cake batter, sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl.
- 5In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Mix in vanilla.
- 6Add the egg yolks one at a time, scraping down the bowl after each addition.
- 7Gradually add the dry ingredients and the milk in stages finishing with the last of the dry ingredients.
- 8In another mixing bowl, whisk together the egg whites and cream of tartar.
- 9Beat the whites until they form firm peaks. Fold into the batter in two batches.
- 10Pour batter over topping in baking pan and bake until the top is golden and the cake pulls away from the sides of the pan, about 50-60 minutes.
- 11Serve with lightly sweetened whipped cream flavored with a little orange liqueur.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cranberry Upside-Down Cake
Serving Size: 1 (216 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 615.8
- Calories from Fat 230
- Total Fat 25.6 g
- Saturated Fat 15.5 g
- Cholesterol 125.0 mg
- Sodium 263.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 92.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 63.9 g
- Protein 6.4 g