Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
You have all heard of pineapple upside down cake, so here is an interesting variation, which is also easy to make. The recipe is taken from a cookbook published in 1976 by employees and retirees of the Santa Fe railroad in Topeka, KS.
- 1 (1 lb) can whole berry cranberry sauce
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) package Duncan Hines yellow cake mix
- 1 1⁄4 water (as directed on cake mix)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (as directed on cake mix)
- 2 -3 eggs (as directed on cake mix)
- Break up the cranberry sauce and spread it over the bottom of a 13 inch X 9 inch X 2 inch baking pan. Dot the cranberry sauce with bits of butter.
- Prepare the batter from the cake mix following package directions and pour evenly over the cranberry sauce in the pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven for 30 minutes, or until it is done. Cut into squares, turning each upside down as you place each on a plate. Serve warm.