2 hrs 10 mins
1 hr 30 mins
From America's Test Kitchen e-mail. Their description said: This ruby-crowned cake is a visual stunner, with a delicate balance of sweet-tart cranberry topping and tender butter cake. But as with all upside-down cakes, the inverted preparation of this cake (the berries are baked on the bottom of the cake, then turned over to allow the berries to appear on top) can easily spell disaster. They needed a cake that was sturdy enough to support the fruit, and a topping that wouldn’t soak the cake or harden and stick the bottom of the pan. (Cook allows time for chilling topping and cooling cake)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups cranberries, fresh or 3 cups defrosted frozen cranberries
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons seedless raspberry jam
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1For the topping:
- 2Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 9-inch round cake pan, line with parchment paper round, and spray with cooking spray.
- 3Melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add cranberries, sugar, and jam and cook until cranberries are just softened, about 4 minutes.
- 4Strain cranberry mixture over bowl, reserving juices.
- 5Add strained juices to empty skillet and simmer over medium heat until syrupy and reduced to 1 cup, about 4 minutes. Off heat, stir in vanilla.
- 6Arrange strained berries in single layer in prepared pan. Pour juice mixture over berries and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 7For the cake:
- 8Process almonds and 1/4 cup flour in food processor until finely ground. Add remaining flour, baking powder, and salt and pulse to combine.
- 9Whisk milk and extracts in measuring cup.
- 10With electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter and sugar until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- 11Beat in egg yolks, one at a time, until combined.
- 12Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with 2 additions of milk mixture.
- 13Using clean bowl and beaters, beat egg whites on medium-high speed until they hold soft peaks, about 2 minutes.
- 14Whisk one-third of whites into batter, then fold in remaining whites.
- 15Pour batter over chilled cranberry mixture and bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes.
- 16Cool on wire rack 10 minutes, then run paring knife around cake and invert onto serving plate.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cranberry Upside Down Cake
Serving Size: 1 (157 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 451.2
- Calories from Fat 199
- Total Fat 22.2 g
- Saturated Fat 12.0 g
- Cholesterol 127.2 mg
- Sodium 158.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 41.8 g
- Protein 5.8 g