1/1 Photo of Cranberry Upside Down Cake
1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Barb Witherspoon's Note:
Recipe from AARP Online News featuring healthier holiday recipes. This one is a little different than the ones already posted on Zaar.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup light-brown sugar
- 3/4 lb cranberries
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- whipped cream (optional) or Cool Whip (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F
- 2Butter a 9-by-9-inch cake pan.
- 3In a small pan over medium heat, melt 4 tablespoons butter and the brown sugar and pour the mixture into the bottom of the cake pan.
- 4Place the cranberries in the cake pan on top of the melted butter and sugar.
- 5Mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- 6In a mixing bowl, cream the remaining 1/2 cup butter with the sugar.
- 7Add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 8Add 1 teaspoon vanilla and mix well.
- 9Add the milk alternately with the dry ingredients, folding well after each addition.
- 10In a small mixing bowl, using clean beaters, beat the egg whites to soft peaks.
- 11Add the cream of tartar and continue to beat until the peaks hold their shape.
- 12Fold the whites into the cake batter.
- 13Spread the batter over the fruit in the cake pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 55 to 60 minutes.
- 14Remove the cake from the oven and run a small knife around the edges.
- 15Let sit for 15 minutes.
- 16Invert the cake onto a serving platter and let it sit another 5 minutes, then remove the pan.
- 17Serve slices of cake topped with a dollop of whipped cream or Cool Whip, if desired.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cranberry Upside Down Cake
Serving Size: 1 (146 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 409.5
- Calories from Fat 153
- Total Fat 17.0 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 84.5 mg
- Sodium 176.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 41.5 g
- Protein 4.2 g