Cook1 hr 15 mins
Recipe from AARP Online News featuring healthier holiday recipes. This one is a little different than the ones already posted on Zaar.
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 3⁄4 cup light-brown sugar
- 3⁄4 lb cranberries
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- whipped cream (optional) or Cool Whip (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Butter a 9-by-9-inch cake pan.
- In a small pan over medium heat, melt 4 tablespoons butter and the brown sugar and pour the mixture into the bottom of the cake pan.
- Place the cranberries in the cake pan on top of the melted butter and sugar.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the remaining 1/2 cup butter with the sugar.
- Add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add 1 teaspoon vanilla and mix well.
- Add the milk alternately with the dry ingredients, folding well after each addition.
- In a small mixing bowl, using clean beaters, beat the egg whites to soft peaks.
- Add the cream of tartar and continue to beat until the peaks hold their shape.
- Fold the whites into the cake batter.
- Spread the batter over the fruit in the cake pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 55 to 60 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and run a small knife around the edges.
- Let sit for 15 minutes.
- Invert the cake onto a serving platter and let it sit another 5 minutes, then remove the pan.
- Serve slices of cake topped with a dollop of whipped cream or Cool Whip, if desired.