I had some frozen cranberries that I was wanting to use up and this seemed like a nice, tart treat.
Make and share this Cranberry Upside Down cake recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 350F, grease an 8" gratin pan.
- In a saucepan, melt 1/4 c of butter and add 1/2 c sugar until the sugar is dissolved Add the cranberries and toss with the syrup, set aside.
- Cream the remaining butter and sugar together with an electric mixer, add 1 egg at a time until combined Add the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon and mix until combined.
- Add the milk slowly until the batter is of a soft, dropping consistency.
- Pour the berry/syrup mixture into the greased pan, cover with the batter.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the cake is bouncy and starts to pull away from the sides of the pan Remove from the oven and place a plate on top of the pan, invert and remove the pan, be careful not to burn yourself Serve warm with ice cream.
This isn't the prettiest cake I've ever made, but the flavour certainly makes up for it. You could make a white batter simply by leaving out the cinnamon, but you don't want to miss what it does for this dessert. Fantastic for sure. The cake is fluffy and so light. The cranberry topping is wonderful. I added extra berries to cover the bottom of the dish, but they seemed to wander during baking. :) I first saw this recipe in a Nigella Lawson book, and knew it was something I wanted to try. I baked this in an oval casserole dish 8 x 12. It took and extra 15 minutes to bake fully. I'll make this one again. Thanks for posting. Made for TOTM Red Tag.
This is very good .. I used raisins because thats what I had .. I also used half the amount of butter specified in the cake batter, and added extra milk .. it was very easy and quick and I will make it again, thanks