This is another great recipe from Martha Stewart's Everday Foods magazine (Issue 8). I have made this with blueberries as well. It looks as good as it tastes!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8 inch round cake pan with 2 tbsp of butter.
- In a small bowl, whisk 1/2 cup sugar with the cinnamon and allspice.
- Sprinkle mixture evenly over bottom of pan, arrange cranberries in a single layer on top.
- Cream remaining 6 tbsp of butter and 1/2 cup of sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla, beat until well mixed.
- In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture to butter mixture, alternating with the milk.
- Spoon batter over cranberries in pan and smooth the top.
- Place pan on baking sheet and cook until toothpick comes out clean, about 30 to 35 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack for 20 minutes. Run a knife around edge and invert onto a rimmed platter.
I liked this cake and it was so pretty too. Not "too sweet" as some cakes can be. Nice use of cranberries. Thanks for sharing.
This is my first time doing a cranberry upside down cake. It's really good. And the result at the end is beautiful. Thanks Shannon :) Made for Photo tag game.