1/2 Photos of Cranberry Upside Down Cake
1 hr 20 mins
I was rather surprised to see no other cake recipe like this one posted already. Found it in a holiday baking magazine and plan to make it for Thanksgiving this year. Rather than waiting to make it public, I've decided to share now in case others want to join me in trying this one out.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons sweet butter, very soft
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest, finely grated (optional)
- 2 cups cranberries, fresh or frozen (If using frozen, thaw first)
- 1Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Place 4 tablespoons of butter in a 9 inch cake pan. (The pan should have at least a 2 1/2 inch rim.) Place the pan in heated oven for 4 to 5 minutes until the butter is fully melted. Stir in the brown sugar, cinnamon and orange zest (optional). Spread the sugar mixture evenly across the bottom of the cake pan. Spread out the cranberries in an even layer over the butter and sugar mix.
- 3To make the cake, begin by using a wooden spoon to cream together the butter, sugar and egg yolk for about 30 seconds. Switching over to a whisk, stir in the eggs one at a time. Continue to whisk another minute until the sugar crystals dissolve. Whisk in the vanilla extract, salt and sour cream.
- 4Sift the flour, baking soda and baking powder into the bowl with the wet ingredients. Whisk everything together until the batter is smooth and lump-free.
- 5Pour the batter over the cranberries and bake for 50 to 65 minutes. When done, the center of the cake should be dry to the touch and spring back when lightly poked.
- 6Remove the cake from the oven and set on a rack for 5 to 10 minutes (no longer as the bottom begins to set as it cools).
- 7Run a knife around the edge of the pan. Invert cake onto a serving plate and remove pan. Let it rest an additional 15 minutes before serving.
- 8Best served warm.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cranberry Upside Down Cake
Serving Size: 1 (107 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 369.1
- Calories from Fat 174
- Total Fat 19.4 g
- Saturated Fat 11.8 g
- Cholesterol 99.0 mg
- Sodium 206.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 28.6 g
- Protein 3.5 g