Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a very old recipe that dates back to the united empire loyalists that settled in Nova Scotia. Simple, but good.
- Combine cranberries, 2/3 cup sugar, and water in a pot.
- Bring to a boil.
- Boil for 3 minutes.
- Spread evenly in a lightly buttered 8" square baking dish.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and sugar.
- Cut in butter.
- Add milk and vanilla and mix inches Add the egg and mix together.
- Drop this mixture on top of the cranberry mixture.
- Bake in a preheated 350F oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until done.
- Let cool in pan.
- Cut in squares and invert on serving dishes.
This was Good. The topping was a little too tart, I would add a little more sugar next time, or add cranberry juice instead of water. Serving with sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream helps with the tartness. It was actually good for breakfast the next morning.