Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
It's safe to include and enjoy the icing on this bread! . For the icing be sure to use the powdered sugar sub recipe given instead of plain Splenda. It's picture pretty and holiday perfect.
- 2 3⁄4-3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 3⁄4 cup skim milk
- 1⁄3 cup Splenda granular, sugar substitute
- 2 tablespoons light margarine
- 1⁄4 cup egg white
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped cranberries
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped pecans
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons finely shredded orange peel
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice or 1⁄2 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons light margarine, melted
- 1⁄2 cup Splenda granular, sugar substitute (Homemade Powdered Sugar With Splenda and Glazes)
- 2 -3 teaspoons orange juice
- In a large bowl stir together 1 cup of the flour and the yeast; 2 tbs Splenda, set aside.
- In a small saucepan heat and stir milk, the 2 tablespoons margarine, and 1/2 teaspoon salt until warm (120 degree F to 130 degree F).
- Add milk mixture to flour mixture; add egg white.
- Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl.
- Beat on high speed for 3 minutes.
- Stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- Turn out dough onto a floured surface.
- Knead in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes total).
- Shape dough into a ball and place in a lightly greased bowl; turn once. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double (1 to 1-1/2 hours).
- Meanwhile, for filling, in a small bowl stir together cranberries, remaining Splenda, pecans, orange peel, and spice; set aside.
- Punch down dough and turn out onto lightly floured surface.
- Cover; let rest 10 minutes.
- Grease a baking sheet.
- Roll dough into a 14x10-inch rectangle and brush with melted butter. Spread filling over dough.
- Starting from a long side, roll dough into a spiral.
- Seal seam.
- Place seam side down and cut roll in half lengthwise.
- Place cut sides up, side by side, on prepared baking sheet. Loosely twist halves together, keeping the cut sides up. Pinch ends to seal.
- Cover; let rise in a warm place until nearly double (about 30 minutes).
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven about 20 minutes or until golden brown (if necessary, cover loosely with foil the last 10 minutes to prevent overbrowning).
- Remove from baking sheet; cool on a wire rack. Drizzle with Orange Icing. Makes 16 servings.
- ORANGE ICINE:
- Stir together 1/2 cup Recipe #241843 and enough orange juice (2 to 3 teaspoons) to make icing of drizzling consistency.
oh this is a diabetics perfect bread! Easy to make, flavorful and pretty :)