It's safe to include and enjoy the icing on this bread! . For the icing be sure to use the powdered sugar sub recipe given instead of plain Splenda. It's picture pretty and holiday perfect.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 3/4-3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 1/3 cup Splenda granular, sugar substitute
- 2 tablespoons light margarine
- 1/4 cup egg white
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cranberries
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped pecans
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely shredded orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice or 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons light margarine, melted
- 1In a large bowl stir together 1 cup of the flour and the yeast; 2 tbs Splenda, set aside.
- 2In a small saucepan heat and stir milk, the 2 tablespoons margarine, and 1/2 teaspoon salt until warm (120 degree F to 130 degree F).
- 3Add milk mixture to flour mixture; add egg white.
- 4Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl.
- 5Beat on high speed for 3 minutes.
- 6Stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- 7Turn out dough onto a floured surface.
- 8Knead in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes total).
- 9Shape dough into a ball and place in a lightly greased bowl; turn once. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double (1 to 1-1/2 hours).
- 10Meanwhile, for filling, in a small bowl stir together cranberries, remaining Splenda, pecans, orange peel, and spice; set aside.
- 11Punch down dough and turn out onto lightly floured surface.
- 12Cover; let rest 10 minutes.
- 13Grease a baking sheet.
- 14Roll dough into a 14x10-inch rectangle and brush with melted butter. Spread filling over dough.
- 15Starting from a long side, roll dough into a spiral.
- 16Seal seam.
- 17Place seam side down and cut roll in half lengthwise.
- 18Place cut sides up, side by side, on prepared baking sheet. Loosely twist halves together, keeping the cut sides up. Pinch ends to seal.
- 19Cover; let rise in a warm place until nearly double (about 30 minutes).
- 20Bake in a 375 degree F oven about 20 minutes or until golden brown (if necessary, cover loosely with foil the last 10 minutes to prevent overbrowning).
- 21Remove from baking sheet; cool on a wire rack. Drizzle with Orange Icing. Makes 16 servings.
- 22ORANGE ICINE:
- 23Stir together 1/2 cup Homemade Powdered Sugar With Splenda and Glazes and enough orange juice (2 to 3 teaspoons) to make icing of drizzling consistency.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cranberry Twist Bread, Diabetic
Serving Size: 1 (43 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 100.4
- Calories from Fat 13
- Total Fat 1.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.2 mg
- Sodium 13.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 3.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: