Recipe by InnerHarmonyNutrition
Instead of making the sponge from scratch, you can also use 1 1/2 packages of commercial gluten-free lady fingers, although the glycemic index would be higher. For more healthy, gluten-free, low-GI, pesco-vegetarialn recipes, please visit my blog, www.InnerHarmonyNutrition.com.
- 2 1⁄2 gluten-free flour, mix (I used 1 1/2 cups almond flour, 3/4 cup oat flour, 1/4 cup coconut flour, and 1 tsp xanthan gum)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup erythritol, xylitol (I used erythritol) or 1⁄2 cup coconut sugar (I used erythritol)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup milk (I used almond milk) or 1⁄3 cup non-dairy milk (I used almond milk)
- 100 ml water
- 1 cranberry tea bag (I used Lipton cranberry pomegranate green tea)
- 1 teaspoon erythritol, xylitol or 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 2 cups cranberries
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup erythritol, xylitol or 1⁄2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 teaspoons potato starch
- 2 egg yolks (optional)
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 3 tablespoons and 1 tsp rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup erythritol, xylitol or 1⁄4 cup coconut sugar
- 300 ml whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF/180ºC degrees. Line an 8 x 8 inch (20 cm x 20 cm) pan with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, combine flour mix, baking powder, sugar, and eggs and mix well. Gradually add milk until all the dry ingredients are mixed.
- Transfer the batter to the lined pan and bake for 20 minutes.
- Lift the sponge along with parchment paper from the pan and place it on a rack to cool.
- While baking the sponge, boil 100 ml water and place a tea bag to make tea. Add 1 tsp of sugar.
- Also while baking, combine cranberries, water, sugar and salt in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium heat and cook for 5 – 10 minutes until cranberries are soft.
- In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons lime juice and potato starch and add to the pan. Keep stirring for 1 minutes until it is thickened. Turn off the heat and cool.
- In a medium bowl, place egg yokes (if using), cheese, rum, vanilla extract, and sugar and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, beat whipping cream until it forms a peak.
- Add the cheese mixture and beat again until it forms a peak.
- Cut the sponge in half horizontally to create 2 sheets of sponge.
- Place one sheet of sponge in the 8 x 8 inch pan with a cut side up.
- Using a brush, soak the sponge with the cranberry tea.
- Pour a half of the cream over the sponge and spread evenly.
- Place another sheet of sponge on top with a cut side up and soak sponge with the tea.
- Pour the remaining cream over the sponge and spread evenly.
- Place the cranberry topping evenly on top. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Infuse love, cut and serve!