Recipe by stacylu
From the book, "Cranberry Thanksgiving" by Wende and Harry Devlin which we read every year growing up before making the bread. It's a family favorite, great as gifts, and a wonderful memory from my childhood.
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon orange rind, grated
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups raisins, we don't use raisins (optional)
- 2 cups fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda together.
- Cut in 1/4 cup butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Add egg, orange peel, and orange juice and mix until mixture is evenly moist.
- Fold in raisins and cranberries.
- Spoon into a greased 9 x 5 x 3 loaf pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until toothpick in center comes out clean.
- Cool out of pan on a wire rack. keep stored in aluminum foil.