Recipe by MsKittyKat
From Body + Soul Magazine. I made a few changes to the recipe - I didn't have cardamom so used a pinch of allspice and an 1/8 teaspoon of ground cloves. I added 1 teaspoon vanilla to the wet ingredients and I forgot to add the oil. I didn't have the ginger so I added pecans. It turned out great, but next time I'm planning to make it as written.
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil, plus more
- canola oil, for pan
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more
- all-purpose flour, for pan (spooned and leveled)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3⁄4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup fresh cranberries or 1 cup frozen cranberries
- 1⁄4 cup crystallized ginger, coarsely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly oil and flour an 8 1/2-by-4 1/2-inch loaf pan.
- Spread oats on a rimmed baking sheet and toast until golden brown and fragrant, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a food processor and pulse until finely ground. Place in a large bowl; stir in flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cardamom.
- In a separate bowl, stir together yogurt, oil, and eggs; whisk until combined. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the liquid ingredients; stir until just combined. Fold in cranberries and ginger.
- Spoon mixture into the prepared pan and smooth top with a rubber spatula. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of the loaf comes out just clean, about 50 minutes. Check the loaf after 30 minutes and tent with aluminum foil if browning too quickly. Cool 10 minutes in the pan, and then run a metal spatula around edges and invert loaf onto a rack. Turn right side up to cool completely before slicing.