Recipe by Graciebonica
I found this recipe several years ago in Light Cooking, but hadn't tried it until recently. This makes a substantial loaf with a delicate flavor. If you want a stronger spice flavor, then just increase the 1/4 tsp. measurements of the cinnamon and nutmeg to your liking.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Absolutely had to tag this recipe primarily because it includes two of my favorite ingredients, sweet potatoes & cranberries! And, with one exception, I followed the ingredient list right on down ~ In order to increase the orange flavor a bit, I included almost a full tablespoon of orange zest! The result was a really great tasting bread that we shared with no one at all, at least not this time around! Thanks for sharing a great keeper of a recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current round of Pick A Chef] Want to know more about PAC? Click onto this link = http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=327498
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup firmly-packed brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3⁄4 cup no-sugar-added canned sweet potato, mashed
- 3⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted (do not use reduced-fat margarine)
- 1 cup chopped cranberries
- cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a large bowl; make a well in the center of the mixture.
- Combine mashed sweet potato, egg substitute, orange juice and margarine in a bowl; add to dry ingredients.
- Stir just until moist.
- Fold in cranberries.
- Spoon batter into a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle almonds over batter; press lightly into top of batter.
- Bake at 350F for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool ten minutes in pan on a wire rack; remove from pan.
- Let cool completely on wire rack.