Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I found this recipe several years ago in Light Cooking, but hadn't tried it until recently. This makes a substantial loaf with a delicate flavor. If you want a stronger spice flavor, then just increase the 1/4 tsp. measurements of the cinnamon and nutmeg to your liking.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup firmly-packed brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3⁄4 cup no-sugar-added canned sweet potato, mashed
- 3⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted (do not use reduced-fat margarine)
- 1 cup chopped cranberries
- cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a large bowl; make a well in the center of the mixture.
- Combine mashed sweet potato, egg substitute, orange juice and margarine in a bowl; add to dry ingredients.
- Stir just until moist.
- Fold in cranberries.
- Spoon batter into a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle almonds over batter; press lightly into top of batter.
- Bake at 350F for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool ten minutes in pan on a wire rack; remove from pan.
- Let cool completely on wire rack.
Absolutely had to tag this recipe primarily because it includes two of my favorite ingredients, sweet potatoes & cranberries! And, with one exception, I followed the ingredient list right on down ~ In order to increase the orange flavor a bit, I included almost a full tablespoon of orange zest! The result was a really great tasting bread that we shared with no one at all, at least not this time around! Thanks for sharing a great keeper of a recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current round of Pick A Chef] Want to know more about PAC? Click onto this link = http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=327498