Recipe by Andi Weiss
This recipe is a Thanksgiving standard in our family. I found this recipe in a magazine many years ago but have made variations to be able to call it my own. The nuts and marshmallows are optional.
- 4 (31 ounce) cans yams, drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3⁄4 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 cup walnut pieces or 1 cup pecan pieces (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup oatmeal (not instant)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons cold butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 cup marshmallows
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat over to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 13x9 inch pan with cooking spray.
- Cut yams into one inch cubes.
- Place in baking dish.
- Add in the cranberries and nuts.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Prepare Topping:.
- Mix oatmeal, flour, packed brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg together in a separate bowl.
- Cut in the butter.
- Consistancy should be lumpy.
- Sprinkle over the top of the Yam mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- The cranberries should have burst.
- Sprinkle marshmallows on top and bake five more minutes or until marshmallows are browned.