Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks in juice
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into bite-size strips
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into bite-size strips
- 2 cups cooked white rice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole berry cranberry sauce
- 3 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar or 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- Place chicken in a large mixing bowl.
- Drain the pineapple; reserve the juice (you should have about 1/3 cup juice).
- Add pineapple, bell pepper strips, and rice to the chicken; stir to combine.
- In a saucepan, combine the cornstarch and brown sugar; add in reserved pineapple juice, the cranberry sauce, orange juice concentrate, vinegar, sherry, soy sauce, and ginger.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Add sauce to chicken mixture; stir to coat.
- Transfer mixture to an ungreased 2-quart casserole dish.
- Bake, covered, at 350° for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with almonds; bake, uncovered, 5 minutes.
Very nice variation on sweet and sour chicken! I used a large can of pineapple, which made it a bit sweet, so added more vinegar and soy sauce. Thanks for posting!