Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Posted for ZWT IV, Germany. From The New German Cookbook.
- 4 large golden delicious apples, peeled and cored to within 1/4 inch of the bottom
- 4 tablespoons whole cranberry sauce
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick (broken into several pieces)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into bits
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream, stiffly whipped with (optional)
- 1 tablespoon sugar, and (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350. Butter a 3-qt casserole and set aside.
- Fill the center of each apple with cranberry sauce, mounding it ever so slightly on top.
- Stand the apples in the prepared casserole, arranging them so they don't touch the casserole sides or one another.
- Pour the red wine evenly over the apples, then drop the cloves, the pieces of cinnamon and butter into the casserole, distributing them evenly.
- Finally, sprinkle 1 T sugar over each apple.
- Bake the apples, uncovered, for 50-60 minutes, till tender, basting with the casserole liquid ever 10 minutes.
- serve hot or warm, spooning a bit of the liquid over the top of each apple and adding, if desired, a dollop of the whipped topping.