Recipe by KateL
Entered for ZWT. From "Nigella's Christmas Kitchen". Vegetarian. Has honey, so not vegan.
Top Review by Rita~
Blimey! Taste like the HOLIDAYS! I had everything so it was very easy to get together and make. I didn't measure just put it all together and it was is yummy! made for ZWT #8 the Lovely Lomen Lovelies. Cheerio
FYI It didn`t need the honey so vegans enjoy! ;)
- 2 1⁄2 ounces soft dark brown sugar (75g)
- 2 fluid ounces ruby port (60ml)
- 10 1⁄2 ounces cranberries (300g)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 1⁄2 ounces currants (75g)
- 2 1⁄2 ounces raisins (75g)
- 1 ounce dried cranberries (30g)
- 1 clementine, zest and juice
- 1 fluid ounce brandy (25ml)
- 3 drops almond extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons honey
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pan, dissolve the sugar in the ruby port over a gentle heat.
- Add the cranberries and stir.
- Add the cinnamon, ginger and cloves, currants, raisins, dried cranberries and the zest and juice of the clementine.
- Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 20 minutes, or until the fruit has broken down and has absorbed most of the liquid in the pan. (You may need to squish the cranberries a little with the back of a wooden spoon to incorporate them fully.).
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool a little.
- Add the brandy, almond extract, vanilla extract and honey and stir well with a wooden spoon to mash the mixture down into a paste.
- Spoon the mincemeat into sterilised jars and, once cool, store in the fridge for up to two weeks.